Roster of Rail Equipment
Graham County Railroad #1925:
The locomotive was built by the Lima Locomotive Works in February 1925. This Shay type of locomotive, named after the inventor, was designed for the steep grades, sharp curves and bad track conditions found on logging railroads. The Shay locomotives were different in that pistons were vertically mounted on the engineer’s side of the boiler, using connecting shafts and gears to turn the wheels. The 1925 was used by the Graham County RR to haul logs out of the Snowbird Mountains to the Bemis Lumber Company mill in Robbinsville, NC. The logging portion closed in 1948, but the railroad continued to carry general freight between Robbinsville and Topton, NC, where an interchange was made with the Southern Railway. Due to dropping freight levels and track conditions, the Graham County ceased operations in 1970. In 1974, a tourist operation, the Bear Creek Scenic Railroad, tried to re-open the line to Robbinsville, but also ceased operation within a few years. The 1925 was donated to the NCTHC in 1988, and restored to operation in 1998 to pull the on-site train ride. This locomotive is currently awaiting a mechanical overhaul and is not in service.
The locomotive was built by the Baldwin Locomotive Works in September 1926. This 2-8-0 Consolidation type locomotive was built for the National Railway of Mexico as oil burner number 200, but never delivered. Instead, it was converted to coal firing and sold to the Buffalo Creek and Gauley Railroad in West Virginia as number 4. In 1964, the locomotive was sold to the Quakertown and Eastern, a tourist line in Pennsylvania. They later sold the number 4 to the Southwest Virginia Scenic Railroad in Hilton, VA. The NCTHC bought the locomotive in 1978, which was restored to operating condition in 1987 by retired Southern Railway employees who volunteered at the museum. The 604 was numbered after similar class locomotives on the Southern, and is used to pull the on-site train ride. This locomotive is currently awaiting a mechanical overhaul and is not in service.
Atlantic Coast Line #1031:
The locomotive was built by the Baldwin Locomotive works in June, 1913. This 4-6-0 Ten Wheeler was one of 25 ordered at that time by the ACL. These class of locomotives earned the nickname “Copperhead” because of the bright copper rings around the tops of the smokestacks. The ACL used them for freight and passenger service around Fayetteville, Rocky Mount and Wilmington in NC, and many places from Richmond, VA to Jacksonville, FL. The Atlantic Coast Line had their corporate headquarters in Wilmington, NC from 1900 until 1960, when it moved to Jacksonville, FL. It was the only Class 1 railroad to be headquartered in this state. As dieselization occurred, many of these locomotives found use on smaller subsidiary lines of the ACL. The 1031 was used on the East Carolina Railway in Tarboro, NC during the mid-1950s and the Virginia & Carolina Southern in Lumberton, NC during the later part of the decade. In 1959 it was placed on display in Florence, SC behind the passenger station adjacent to the rail yards. The City of Florence donated the 1031 to the NCTHC in 1994, resulting in a cosmetic restoration to a 1940s appearance in 1996 for display in the Robert Julian Roundhouse.
Carolina Power and Light #3:
The locomotive was built by the H.K. Porter Locomotive Company in February 1937. This 0-4-0 switcher is a “fireless steam-storage” locomotive. There is an insulated tank instead of a firebox and boiler. It could be charged (filled with steam) in about 15 minutes and would run for two to five hours, depending on working conditions. These locomotives were used in power plants, lumberyards, textile mills and other areas where a large, ready supply of steam was available or burning cinders were dangerous. The number 3 arrived at the CP&L Lumberton Plant (known as the Weatherspoon Plant after 1958) in 1949 and used until March, 1980. The locomotive was donated in August 1980 to the State of North Carolina and is currently on display in Stall 13 in the Robert Julian Roundhouse.
Duke Power Company #111:
The locomotive was built by the American Locomotive Company around 1922, sold to the Stewart-Jones Company of Great Falls, SC in February 1922 and the Wateree Power Company (later Duke Power Company) on July 7, 1924. This locomotive is similar to the Bonsal #7, except the water tank rides atop the boiler, giving locomotive the nickname “saddle-tank.” Duke Power used the locomotive at their Mt. Holly and Cliffside plants along with the Buck Steam Plant on the Yadkin River north of Spencer. Not much is known of its service before 1942 or after 1953. The locomotive was donated to the State of north Carolina in the late 1970s, and is currently on display in Stall 13 in the Robert Julian Roundhouse.
Seaboard Air Line #544:
The locomotive was built by the American Locomotive Company in March 1918. This 2-10-0 Decapod was built for the Russian State Railroad, but never delivered due to the Revolution of 1917. Before the locomotive could be used in the U.S, wider tires had to be installed since the Russian Railroads used 5-foot gauge, instead of 4 feet 8 ½ inches. It then became the property of the United States Railroad Administration, begun in 1917 to control the shipment of vital war supplies during World War I. Decapods were employed on branch lines throughout the Seaboard system, being based in North Carolina at Hamlet and Raleigh. During the 1950s these decapods were transferred to the Gainesville Midland, a Seaboard subsidiary in Georgia. The 544 was placed on display in Atlanta in 1965 and later sold to the North Carolina Railroad Company in 1980, which donated the locomotive to the State of North Carolina. The 544 was cosmetically restored in 1996 for display in the Robert Julian Roundhouse.
Southern Railway #542:
The locomotive was built by the Baldwin Locomotive Works in 1903. This 2-8-0 Consolidation operated in North Carolina on the Southern Railway around Statesville and Winston-Salem. Repairs were performed at Spencer Shops. Similar class 2-8-0 locomotives were extensively used by the Southern for local freight trains throughout the entire system. In North Carolina they were found from Raleigh to Asheville. Southern owned only 90 of this rare J class locomotive, and the 542 is the sole remaining example. In 1954 the Southern donated the locomotive to Tanglewood Park, near Clemmons, NC. A trade was made in 1991 using the ex-Illinois Central 0-8-0 1894 to obtain the 542 for the museum. It was cosmetically restored for use in the Leatherheads movie as #604 during 2008.
W. R. Bonsal Company #7:
The locomotive was built by the H.K. Porter locomotive Company in 1943. The US Army as number 5012 used this 0-6-0 switcher for several years until purchased by the W.R. Bonsal Company, a gravel operation in Lilesville, NC in 1947. The locomotive does not have a tender, instead a water tank sits on each side of the boiler and a coal bunker is located behind the cab. These type of locomotives were designed to switch yards or pull very short distance trains. The Bonsal Company donated the locomotive to the State of North Carolina in February 1978. It is now stored awaiting restoration.
Atlantic Coast Line #501:
This locomotive was built by the Electro-Motive Division of General Motors in November 1939. Beginning in the late 1930s, EMD developed a passenger diesel locomotive known as the E series. This E3 was one of the first high production models. The ACL ordered two, numbered 500 and 501, for service on The Champion between New York City and Miami, Florida. Each locomotive produces 2,000 horsepower from two 567-A 12-cylinder prime movers. The ACL chose purple and silver to decorate these locomotives, partly due to the long-time use of purple on ACL timetables. The 501 remained in service until 1970, operating over 6 million miles. This distinction made the 501 the most traveled E unit in US history! The NC DOT Rail Division purchased the 501 in 1998, and placed the locomotive on long term loan to the museum.
Beaufort and Morehead #1860:
This locomotive was built by the Fairbanks Morse Company of Beloit, Wisconsin and is a model H-12-44. FM entered the locomotive business rather late, basing the power from their opposed-piston marine engines used in diesel submarines used during World War II. This locomotive was originally purchased by the US Army in the 1950s and used at the Sunny Point Military Ocean Terminal before being used to switch the B&M and based in the Morehead City State Ports. The NC Transportation Museum acquired the locomotive in 2004 after disposition from the State Ports.
Duke Power Company #5951:
This locomotive was built by General Electric in 1953. The 25-ton switcher was used until its retirement by the Duke Power Company, which used the locomotive at the Buck Steam Plant, north of Spencer. General Electric developed this type of locomotive during the 1940s for industrial plants and small yards to move freight cars through the plants. Duke Power donated the locomotive to NCTHC in 1992, and it is used when an 85-foot passenger car is moved on the turntable.
Norfolk & Western #620:
The locomotive was built by the Electro-Motive Division of General Motors in 1958. The Norfolk & Western Railway was one of the last Class 1 railroads to dieselize, starting in 1959. Part of their main traffic was coal from West Virginia to the Tidewater section of Virginia, and the railroad kept using steam power to show its continued usefulness. The GP-9 locomotive developed 1750 horsepower from its 567-C prime mover. The N&W used GP-9s for freight and passenger trains, the later painted in a Tuscan Red and Gold scheme. Freight units wore basic black. The 620 continued in service, working from Roanoke, VA to Ohio until being retired in 1985, when it was donated by Norfolk Southern Corporation to the NCTHC. Volunteers, using money given by NS Corporation, painted the locomotive in the passenger scheme for use on the site train ride. It receives more use than the others, due to favoritism of the crews.
Southern Railway #2601:
The locomotive was built by the Electro-Motive Division of General Motors in 1963. The GP-30 diesel was produced from 1961 to 1963, selling 948 units to railroads throughout the United States. All GP-30s were equipped with 567-D3 16 cylinder prime movers connected to turbochargers generating 2250 horsepower. Many railroads, including Southern, used 4-5 GP-30s together to pull fast time limited freight trains. Southern continued to use their units until the late 1980s, with most retired off the roster by 1993. Norfolk Southern Corporation donated the locomotive to NCTHC in 1992, and later took the engine to Chattanooga, TN in 1995 for an exterior cosmetic restoration to Southern Railway early 1980s paint scheme. It is used to pull the train ride around the property when needed.
Southern Railway #6133:
The locomotive was built by the Electro-Motive Division of General Motors in 1950. This FP-7, operated by the Southern Railway, was the property of the CNO&TP (Cincinnati, New Orleans & Texas Pacific). The FP designation meant the locomotive could be used for passenger or freight trains, using a 567-B 16 cylinder prime mover, generating 1500 horsepower. These were F-7 freight locomotives with a steam generator placed at the rear of the locomotive, increasing body length by four feet. FP-7 locomotives were used on small branch-line passenger trains throughout the Southern Railway System. By the late 1970s, there were very few FP-7s left on the roster due to Southern eliminating many passenger trains. The 5-8 left were used for excursion trains as part of the Steam Program begun in 1966. The 6133 was donated to the NCTHC in 1980, and restored by the volunteers to its original green/ imitation aluminum paint scheme. It is used to pull the train ride around the property when needed.
Southern Railway #6900:
The locomotive was built by Electro-Motive Division of General Motors in 1951. Originally numbered 2923, the E-8 was the first of seventeen units ordered by the Southern Railway. The E-8 had two 567-B 12-cylinder prime movers, developing a total of 2,250 horsepower. The Southern used the E-8s to pull passenger trains, including the Southerner, Crescent, Tennesseean and Royal Palm. They were first painted green with imitation aluminum striping, changing to black in the late 1950s. In 1972, Southern President W. Graham Claytor had all E-8s painted green and aluminum to reflect history and pride of the railroad, and renumbered 2923 to 6900. The 6900 ended its career on the Southern pulling the Southern Crescent from Washington, DC to Atlanta, GA. After Southern Railway ceased passenger service in 1979, the 6900 was donated to the NCTHC the next year. Norfolk Southern Corporation restored the exterior of the locomotive in 1995 at Chattanooga, TN. It is now on display in the Robert Julian Roundhouse.
U. S. Navy #65-00556:
This locomotive was built by the Davenport Locomotive Works in 1953. The 44-ton switcher was built for the United States Armed Services and saw duty with the Army and Navy. It is currently painted for service with the Navy. It was retired in the late 1980s. Congressman Bill Hefner assisted the State of North Carolina in acquiring the locomotive from the Federal Surplus Depot in Maryland in 1990. It is on loan to the NCTMF and used for switching purposes around the property.
This locomotive was built by the Electro-Motive Division of EMD in May of 1979. 200 of these F40 locomotives were designed to pull passenger trains anywhere in the US, usually in multiples of 2-3 per train. By the mid 1970s, many of the older E-unit passenger diesels were 20 plus years old and were developing several mechanical problems with the diesel engines and outdated steam generators. The new design F40, based on a freight GP40, gave AMTRAK a locomotive with more power and equipment like Head-End Power, an all-electric way to heat and air condition the cars. By the mid 1990s they were themselves the old, worn-out locomotives and AMTRAK began replacing with the P42 from General Electric. Most of the F40s were removed from service in 2000, with several being converted into baggage cars by removing their diesel engines and installing side roll-up doors. This locomotive was purchased for $1.00 by the NCTMF in 2004 for eventual display in the Back Shop.
Norfolk Southern #1616:
This locomotive was built by the Baldwin Locomotive Works in 1955. The AS-416 is one of several that were ordered by the original Norfolk Southern Railway. The 1616 has electrical components supplied by General Electric. The original NS ran from Charlotte, NC through Raleigh to Norfolk, VA. Early dieselization used Baldwins and General Electric 70-tonners. Later they bought EMD GP-18s. The Southern Railway merged the NS Railway into the system in 1974, and after the N&W merger in 1982, used the name in part for the new corporation. After 1974, Southern sold all the remaining Baldwin locomotives, and the 1616 went to the Peabody Coal Company in Lentzburg, Ill. They donated the engine to the State of North Carolina in 1981, and volunteers restored the locomotive to its late 1950s early 1960s appearance. It is now on display in the Robert Julian Roundhouse.
NC Ports Authority #L-3:
This locomotive was built by General Electric in 1943. The 45-ton switcher was used by the Ports Authority in Wilmington its entire career. These locomotives had only one traction motor per truck, and used side rods to turn the other axles. The Ports Authority switched freight brought into the port for shipment overseas. They also moved and loaded freight brought in by ship. State ports are located in Wilmington and Morehead City, NC.This locomotive and the Transportation Corps 45-tonner are the oldest diesel locomotives at the museum.
Piedmont and Northern Boxcab #5103:
Built by the General Electric in 1913 as an electric locomotive. Power was supplied either through a 600-volt D.C. trolley pole or a 1500-volt D.C. overhead catenary shoe. The P&N was the only mainline Class 1 railroad in the south to use electric locomotives. They also had a divided right-of-way, with part operating Charlotte to Belmont, NC and the other Spartanburg to Greenwood, SC. The 5103 worked first in SC then ended its service running old trolley tracks in downtown Charlotte in 1958. The 5103 was chosen to be restored by the P&N at their Greenville, SC shops in 1963 and donated to the Atlanta, NRHS Chapter. The NCTHC purchased the
U.S. Army Transportation Corps #7497:
This locomotive was built by General Electric in 1943. The Armed Forces used these types of locomotives in the US and overseas in rail yards switching cars or powering local, short distance freight trains. The Transportation Corps was authorized in 1943 to move men and material wherever needed around the world, previously managed by the Corps of Engineers. While not in conflict, the Transportation Corps uses these locomotives to switch military posts and supply depots. The 7497 was last assigned to Hill Air Force Base near Salt Lake City, Utah. The Federal Government in 1991 donated it to the State of North Carolina. The locomotive, still in Transportation Corps paint, is serviceable though does not meet FRA guidelines. It is currently displayed in the Robert Julian Roundhouse.