Frequently Asked Questions
• Trips are sponsored by the N.C. Transportation Museum Foundation (NCTMF), the non-profit support group for the N.C. Transportation Museum, and the Watauga Valley Railroad Historical Society. These trips cannot be booked through Amtrak.
• For reservations and information, call 704-636-2889 ext. 237, visit nctrans.org.
• A $5 handling fee will be added to each ticket purchased during check out.
• You will not receive a paper ticket. You will receive a purchase confirmation by email or mail (depending on your ticket purchase), which will be exchanged for a boarding pass.
• Boarding passes will be available in the museum’s Gift Station starting at noon Friday, Oct. 11 (for all passengers) and Saturday, Oct. 12 (for Asheville Excursion Passengers only). Passes will also be available before departure the day of the trip.
- In Spencer : 6: 00 - 6:45 a.m. (Oct. 12 and 13)
- In Greensboro: 7:00 - 7:45 a.m. (Oct. 12 only)
Departure cannot be delayed for late passengers.
• Shopping and eating areas are within one mile of our arrival point at each destination. A free shuttle bus will be available for travel to the historic mall in Charlottesville (Saturday) and to Biltmore Village (Sunday)..
• Trains run rain or shine.
• Passengers will be pre-assigned the rail car on which they will travel. Passengers with special requests (i.e., wishing to sit with another group or near the café car) should specify those requests when purchasing tickets.
• For information on hotels in the Salisbury/Spencer area, contact the Rowan County Convention & Visitors Bureau at 1-800-332-2343. For hotels in the Greensboro area, contact the Greensboro Convention and Visitors Bureau at 1-800-344-2282.
• All rail cars offer AC/heat and restrooms.
• Onboard snacks and souvenirs can be purchased.
• Small coolers and picnic baskets are allowed only if stored under seats or in the overhead racks.
• Layered clothing is recommended due to cool mornings and warm afternoons during the trip.
• No alcoholic beverages, no smoking and no illicit drugs allowed on train.
• No photo runbys.
• No pets.
• Free parking is available at the N.C. Transportation Museum at 411 S. Salisbury Ave., Spencer (Saturday and Sunday), at the Greensboro Amtrak Station, at 236 E. Washington St., Greensboro (Saturday only).
• Due to narrow doorways, loading conditions and length of the trip, we discourage passengers with physical infirmities limiting their mobility or who require ongoing medical assistance or medication.
• If you will be traveling with a folding wheelchair, you will be responsible to provide anyone necessary for loading, unloading and on board mobility. Due to narrow doorways, no powered wheelchairs.
• It will be dark during boarding and there may be uneven footing. Boarding will require walking from the parking areas to the boarding locations.
• Amtrak, NCTMF and WATV reserve the right to substitute motive power or rolling stock.
• Amtrak, NCTMF and WATV assume no liability for failure to board train before it departs or equipment failure. Both trips call for a full and exciting day. Please plan schedule accordingly.
• No refunds, except in case of medical emergency (physician’s note is required); all refunds will be subject to a $50 processing fee per ticket and will be limited to 10 days following the trips.
• Disclaimer: the NCTM, NCTMF and WATV and their representatives act only as agents for the passengers with respect to rail transportation, food service and other services offered, and as such, hold themselves free of any liability for injury, delay, loss, equipment failure, substitution, or damage from any cause.